Saturday, September 10, 2011

Carbo Load


My son is running the Fuzz Run today so to get him ready for the big race - I decided to serve a big pasta dinner last night.  What we like to call "carbo loading."

I've made this recipe for my family for years and everyone loves it so much that it has become one of my quick and easy "go to" meals.  I've made it with all different kids of ham, including lunch meat ham and leftover Easter ham.  I've made it with cream, half and half and milk depending on how much fat I want to cut out of the recipe.  I usually don't add the walnuts because no one, except me, really likes them in their pasta.  Personally, I think they add a nice nutty crunch to the dish. 


Fettuccini with Basil, Ham and Walnuts
9 ounces fettuccine                1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
¾ cup heavy cream                crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 ¼ cups diced ham                1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan

Cook fettuccine in salted water.  Drain.  In saucepan, combine cream, ham, cheese, basil and red pepper flakes.  Cover and cook 5 minutes - do not boil.  Add pasta and walnuts and toss to coat. 

The boys are off to the race - good luck. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment