Saturday, September 3, 2011

Blueberry Extravaganza


Saturday morning pancake breakfasts are the best.  I like to load my oatmeal pancakes with blueberries and drizzle them with maple syrup.  These are not the smooth velvety pancakes that you are probably used to.  These pancakes have a hearty texture and a slight crunch.  They're made with oats and whole wheat flour and in my case, lots of blueberries. 

Normally, I have a strict no begging policy when we are eating and Mia (my beloved Weimaraner)  usually lays down beside the table.  The smell of this morning pancakes must have been more than she could tolerate though because she stared at my son and his plate of pancakes like it she was going to take it.  I just couldn't resist snapping a quick picture before I sent her away from the table. 


Country Crunch Pancakes
1 cup flour                                    ½ teaspoon salt
¼ cups whole wheat flour            1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
½  cup oats                                   1 ¼ cups buttermilk, low fat or non fat
1 Tablespoon sugar                      1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder           1 Tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon baking soda        

Combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In separate bowl, combine buttermilk, egg and oil.  Stir into dry ingredients.


 Pour ¼ cupfuls of batter onto a hot griddle and add blueberries.

                  

My kids ate their pancakes plain (without blueberries) and they really enjoyed them.  These pancakes were a great way to kick off a busy weekend.  Now that we are fueled with whole grain energy, we can hit the day running.  I'm off to take the dog for a walk.


Have a great weekend. 

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment