Monday, August 1, 2011

Somethings fishy


Since the boys in my house have jumped on the workout bandwagon, I have had to boost our protein intake considerably.  I am always looking for ways to incorporate fish and lean protein into our diet.   Even though my kids are not big salmon eaters - they have always loved salmon burgers.  (I don't try to figure out their bizarre eating habits anymore I just accept them.)  I make salmon burgers quite often as a healthy alternative to beef burgers. 


I usually buy frozen salmon because it is readily available at the supermarket.  If you buy fresh and never frozen salmon,  you can double the recipe and freeze some for another day.  I form the patties, lay them on a waxed paper lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer for an hour.  After an hour, they are firm enough to put into individual sandwich bags and store in the freezer.  When I want to cook them, I defrost the patties in the refrigerator.

Salmon Burgers
24 ounces salmon (I used sockeye salmon)                1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs                                                  1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 egg                                                                            salt and pepper
2 green onions, minced                                               1 Tablespoon chives
lemon zest

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Form into patties.  I made 6 patties out of 24 ounces of salmon.  Place patties on the grill and cook through.  (About 10 minutes per side.)

 Give these burgers a try - you might be surprised at the response from your family.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment