Saturday, August 13, 2011

Snack Attack - Improved

 
Yesterday was one of those days when I just couldn't seem to eat enough to satisfy my hunger.  I think I could have eaten all day.  What I was really craving was something sweet so I finally gave in to temptation and baked a batch of oatmeal cookies.  Craving satisfied!

The original recipe was for oatmeal raisin cookies but my kids are anti-raisin.  I have learned that if I make the cookies with raisins, my husband and I end up eating the whole batch by ourselves.   (Not something that is good for either one of us.)  I usually scoop out 1/2 of the dough without raisins and then stir a 1/2 cup of raisins into the remaining dough.

We're headed on a family mountain biking trip today so I will definitely pack a few of these cookies for energy on the trail. 

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter                   
1 cup brown sugar               
½ cup sugar                 
2 eggs             
1 teaspoon vanilla             
1 1/3 cups flour
3 cups old fashioned oats (Don't use quick oats.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, sugars and vanilla in the bowl of a standing mixer.  Beat in eggs.  Combine dry ingredients and add to mixer.  Drop onto silicone baking sheets and bake 15 minutes at 325. 


This is a picture of Ben enjoying his cookie(s) after our bike ride.  They really hit the spot after a long ride - even without the raisins. 

I decided to repost this blog because my son felt strongly that these oatmeal cookies lacked one important component - cream filling.  After lunch today, he took it upon himself to create his own version of an oatmeal cream pie.  He divided a cookie in half put some mini marshmallows in between the halves and microwaved it until the marshmallow puffed.  He decided that the marshmallow filling made the oatmeal cookies even better.  Not so sure it is my cup of tea but I was impressed with his culinary creativity. 


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment