Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Go Greek



I love Greek salads and the simpler the better as far as I'm concerned.  Fresh romaine lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes, a couple of kalamata olives, a sprinkling of salty feta cheese and a great Greek dressing = salad perfection. 

I've tasted a lot of the Greek dressings that are on the market today they've all come up a little short of my expectations.  A couple of years ago I decided to try and create my own dressing.  It took a couple of tries but I finally found the right combination of ingredients and I've been making it ever since.  It's a great way to use the basil from my garden too.  

Greek Dressing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar          
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups fresh basil               
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley    
1 teaspoon oregano             
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup oil

I simply put all of my ingredients in my blender and process them until it's nice and smooth.

When I make a salad, I put the lettuce in my salad spinner to wash it and then dry it.  If you don't have a salad spinner - I highly recommend investing in one.   When I buy a head of lettuce I wash and spin it and then put it in a produce container in my refrigerator until I'm ready to use it.  Your lettuce will last a whole lot longer when you remove excess water. 


 I also used my salad spinner to wash and dry my basil for the Greek dressing.


My Greek dressing comes out very green and it really doesn't make the prettiest picture.  You're going to have to take my word for it that it really is good.  I added some sliced avocado to my salad too because as you know - I think avocado makes everything taste better.  I so enjoyed my Greek salad for lunch today and I think that my dressing is way better than any Greek dressing on the market.
 

Yesterday I had a Greek salad for lunch along with a roasted stuffed pepper from my friend Tracy.  It was delicious.  She grew the peppers in her garden and stuffed them with all sorts of yummy goodness.  (wild rice, ground beef and vegetables)  It was a perfect lunch.



Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment