Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pork Tips

The heat wave continues and we are all trying to stay cool in these extreme temperatures.  With my air conditioner already running on overtime - I didn't want to turn my oven on tonight to cook dinner so I turned to the Big Green Egg instead.   I purchased a Big Green Egg last year and I absolutely love it.  I do all of my grilling on my "egg" but you can certainly modify my recipes and use a gas grill or even and indoor grill. 

Tonight I tried a new recipe from the June/July issue of Cooks Country called Grilled Honey-Glazed Pork Chops.  I changed the recipe slightly and this is my modified version of the original recipe. For starters, I used pork rib tips instead of pork chops because they looked better than the pork chops.

Grilled Honey-Glazed Pork Tips
6 rib tips
1/8 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

Pat pork dry with paper towels.  Combine sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Rub mixture on both sides of chops.  Whisk together vinegar and cornstarch in small saucepan.  Stir in honey, mustard and thyme.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook until mixture reduces to 1/4 cup.  Brush one side of rib tips with half of the sauce and place on a hot grill.  Close grill lid and cook 10 minutes.  Brush tops of ribs with remaining sauce and then flip.  Close grill lid and cook another 10 minutes.  Remove from grill and tent with foil. 

*The sauce for the pork was good but didn't flavor the meat nearly as much as I had hoped.  If make this recipe again, I will replace the sugar/salt rub with a spice rub to impart more flavor into the pork.  My family added more barbeque sauce to their ribs at the table.  The pork tips were more of a challenge to eat than I had anticipated as well - should have stuck with pork chops.   Overall it was not a bad dinner and this was a pretty simple recipe to make.

Stay cool and Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I thought dinner was very good this evening and hope that she makes it again.

    ReplyDelete